Re: How long must we wait?

Randy Landrum (randyl@efn.org)
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 00:01:04 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Bill Hamilton wrote:

> I suspect that YEC critics of science tend to think of science as an
> exercise in logic. Either a proposition is true or it isn't. If it isn't,
> then of course no one would want to base further hypotheses on it. But the
> situation in science is more complex than that. Evolution for example is
> not one single hypothesis. It's a fairly complex model of how
> evolutionists believe genetic changes and environmental stimuli interact to
> produce change. It includes many principles, hypotheses, etc. Is it
> perfect? No, because it is a partial model representing our current state
> of understanding. How will the model be improved and incorrect aspects of
> it corrected? By additional experiment and observation. How will we
> determine which experiments to pursue? The model's predictions will tell
> us where experimental work is needed to either increase our confidence in
> the model or point out where it is weak or incorrect. So ashcanning a
> model because of some anomalous facts would cripple our ability to proceed
> with advancing our understanding.

I do believe in a younger than billion year old earth I may not be the
normal yec but I believe that science is the systematized knowledge
derived from observation. It is a branch of knowledge, esp. one that
systematizes facts, principles, and methods. According to my understanding
evolution does not fit that definition.

In my own perception I believe science to be the pursuit of truth without
religion belief, or agenda.

=====m-_
`,_` ./.~`-,. "Throughout the hundreds of millions
=,` / 'i '~+=,_ of years the coelacanths have kept
v. . !-. = __. ~\=. the same form and structure. Here is
` ,_. , i`,_'\.- ~e_ one of the great mysteries of evolution"
' -.-,s @@Wi[ ,z,c \\.
.Y/ ,_-8!s/*fi! '',_\,!@m[ Jacques Millot, "The Coelacanth"
_si /i@Wzzz`--,dPV\gW@f
-=`-(- ',,`! Wf+i dMTf~~Y**f[ ~ Randy Landrum
!-! ! ,./,@b- -WW/b@mW~msm! ~ B.A. Brooks Institute
P-' , ' ~_dA~~M@WD*fV\]bA@@f ~ US Coordinator FaithNet 700:1000/0.0
e..! ,,!A`im/ - .*NW@@@Wf ~ randyl@efn.org
@XW`. A~ 2+e2@@@@@A~ ~