Re: Proving Hitler wrong

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:33:08 -0600

At 08:05 AM 11/20/96 -0800, Randy wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Steve Clark wrote:
>
>> This is also why Randy's claim that all evil in the world since
>> Darwin can be attributed to evolution, is a similar abuse of what evolution
>> science can and cannot do.

Randy responded:
>The only abuse here is your misquoting. At no time did I make the above
>statment nor do I believe it.

Randy, the following quote is from your message that introduced the idea
that evolution was linked to Hitler. If, above, I mistate your position, it
is obvious why. You wrote:

"Evolution is the basic philosophy behind all the evil systems that have
plagued the world since the days of Charles Darwin."

Then, you wrote to me:

>Jesus Christ never did condone racism Darwin did! Your example of the
>racism in evolution being compaired to Christianity in not valid.

Randy, I never compared "racism in evolution" to Christianity. What I did
say was that PEOPLE have used both evolution and Christian faith to justify
THEIR views of racism. This simply is a factual statement. It compares the
way people have tried to justify belief in racism, it never compares racism
to Christianity. There is a difference here. I then went on to explain
taht it does not logically follow that legitimate criticism of the way that
people use a belief, means that the belief is wrong. I used the example of
people misusing Christian belief to justify their racist beliefs because no
one here thinks that this ivalidates the faith.

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs