ORIGINS: a new successful prediction for my view

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 14:17:22

A new art object has been found at Jinmium, Australia and it was most likely
not made by Homo sapiens. This is a good day for my viewpoint. The technical
report for this find will be published in Antiquity in the December Issue.

The Dallas Morning News, Sept 21, 1996, p. 14A has a story this morning about
a sandstone monolith which is engraved by thousands of circles and dates to
75,000 years ago. This is more than twice the age of any European cave
painting and 15,000 years older than the second oldest Australian art.

Digging at the base of the rock they found red ochre (whose only known use was
for painting) and stone tools which date to between 116,000 to 176,000 years
BP. Previously, mankind was believed to have inhabited Australia no earlier
than 60,000 years ago. This find doubles or even triples the time that
Australia has been inhabited.

The article says:
"Scholars have long identified cave and rock art as a defining characteristic
of modern Homo sapiens, one of the cultural manifestations possibly reflecting
the last transitions of the species to fully modern form. But the new dates
suggest that modern humans might not have been able to migrate to Australia
early enough to be these artists."

The find has tremendous implications for the origins issue.

First there is the issue of human-ness. Those familiar with the views I
advocate know that I have spent much time saying that fossil men who do not
look like us (e.g. Neanderthal, archaic Homo sapiens, and Homo erectus) have
behaviors which are like ours and that these behaviors qualify them as
human.(see the evolution archives at http://www.calvin.edu/archive/evolution
and http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/DMD.htm )

Other apologists disagree with this view. Hugh Ross believes:

"In the case of the cave drawings and pottery fragments, the
degree of abstractness suggests the expression of something more than
just intelligence. Certainly no animals species other han human
beings has ever exhibited the capacity for such sophisticated
expression. However, the dates for these finds are well within the
biblically acceptable range for the appearance of Adam and Eve --
somewhere between 10,000 and 60,000 years ago according to Bible
scolars who have carefully analyzed the genealogies. Since the
oldest art and fabrics date between 25,000 and 30,000 years ago,
no contradiction exists between anthropology and Scripture on
this issue." Hugh Ross, "Art and Fabric Shed New Light on Human
History," Facts & Faith, 9:3 (1995)p. 2

Thus Hugh Ross come out for the view that IF mankind is older than 60,000
years then the Bible is wrong. Ross believes that art is conclusive of
humanity, I believe that it is simply indicative of humanity. Humans who
produce no art or produce art only on perishable materials like wood, are
still human. This australian art object puts Hugh Ross in
the posistion of choosing whether to change his views about the hominids or
say that the Bible is wrong, or say that this is not art.. And this does not
include other objects like the neanderthal flute dated at 45,000 years ago
( http://www.zrc-sazu.si/www/iza/piscal.html ), and the Golan Venus Figurine
dated to ca 330,000 years ago (see ~L. A. Schepartz, "Language and Modern
Human Origins," Yearbook of Physical Anthropology, 36:91-126(1993), p. 117 and
Desmond Morris, The Human Animal, (New York: Crown Publishing, 1994), p.
186-188.)

Secondly, the impressive number of circles which have been carved into the
site strikes me that this may have been a religious site. The circles average
1.2 inches wide and were carved everywhere, including 5 feet below the present
soil level. Their shapes are said to be nearly perfect. On the monolith,
there were 3500 carved circles and on another rock face a few feet away, 3,200
more circles were found. This does not sound to me like the action of a
"soulish (not spiritual) creatures God made before he made humans" [to use
Hugh Ross' words]. Why would an intelligent (but not spiritual), mammalian
species suddenly be taken with fits of carving circles in rocks?

I have seen Buddhist temples in China with thousands of small alcoves (~2
inches tall) carved into the walls. Small Buddhist statues used to reside in
these alcoves prior to the revolution in 1949. To find someone willing to
spend the vast quantities of time performing the exacting work of carving rock
circles sounds more religious in nature than anything else. If this work is
was done by archaic homo sapiens, it would imply that the they had some form
of religion, at least to me.

Thirdly, if the earlier dates for the occupation of Australia hold up, (dates
from 116-176 thousand years ) then it would require that archaic Homo Sapiens
actually built ocean going boats! Throughout the Pliocene and Pleistocene
Australia and New Guinea have always been separated from the Asian mainland by
at the least, 65 km. but most likely 80-100 km. This would require ocean
voyages over the horizon to a land which could not be seen from the old land.
Anthropologists do not believe that it is very probable that a man and woman
were able to float across on a log. (see Clive Gamble, Timewalkers, p. 216).
To have a being who is not an anatomically modern human build boats would be a
major discovery indeed.

For the record, the earliest actual boat we have is from 6400 B.C., long after
the time we know mankind had been sailing the oceans. Why is this? Wooden
objects decay quickly.

For those on the ASA who did not see the earlier information which relates to
my view of when man was created, I am attaching the following which those on
the evolution reflector have had a chance to read: