Re: Lawyers, evidence and obfuscation

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 09:33:39 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings Jim,

On 20 Sep 1996, Jim Bell wrote:

> Why do Darwinists label ANY critic of Darwinism an ipso facto "creationist"?
> Because this loaded, emotion-laden term limits the credibility of the
> opponent. We can see this in the reactions to Mike Behe's book. Even though
> Behe says over and over he is NOT a creationist, that's what his critics call
> him.

Inversely, "Why do CREATIONISTS label ANY critic of CREATIONISM an ipso
facto "DARWINIST"? Because this loaded, emotion-laden term limits the
credibility of the opponent."

Jim, I know you are going to launch out your standard "priestly robes"
argument at me for making the following statement: But I work in a large
university in the area of evolutionary biology--and I have never once
heard my colleagues refer to themselves as "DARWINISTS." Most know little
about Charles Darwin and most could care less. For that matter, I can't
think of ever seeing the term in the modern evolutionary scientific
professional literature.

Second, Mike Behe is definitely a creationist, in its ontological sense,
because he is a devout Roman Catholic. He is clearly an antievolutionist
because that has been his public position ever since I met him in
Cambridge in 1994. Thus, Behe, like most of the Intelligent Design group
is some form of Progressive Creationist (and like this group, he refuses
to define and offer details of his position).

Brother Jim, I'm feeling the heat of your flames on my hard drive
already ;-).

In Him,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."