Re: supernatural observation & faith def.

Brian D. Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:00:33 -0400

At 01:45 PM 9/15/96 -0700, Neal Roys wrote:

>Hey guys:
>
>>No one here since I've been reading this listserve has provided any
>>criteria _at all_ to tell if something is designed just by looking at
>>it.
>
>Are you guys aware of Hubert Yockey's(reference at end) contribution to
>this from the science of Information theory. He provides the criteria:
>There is an intelligible difference between _order with low complexity_,
>which either non-ID or ID can produce, and _order with high complexity_,
>which only ID can produce.

Just thought I would point out that Yockey provides no such criteria,
sorry. In fact _order with high complexity_ is a contridiction in
terms, at least in the sense that Yockey defines order and complexity.

BTW, Neal, I have Yockey's book right here. Could you tell me on
what page he discusses using information theory to identify whether
something is intelligently designed?

Brian Harper | "If you don't understand
Associate Professor | something and want to
Applied Mechanics | sound profound, use the
The Ohio State University | word 'entropy'"
| -- Morrowitz
Bastion for the naturalistic |
rulers of science |