Re: supernatural observation & faith def.

Neal K. Roys (nroys@district125.k12.il.us)
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:29:41 -0700

Brian D. Harper wrote:

>At 01:45 PM 9/15/96 -0700, Neal Roys wrote:
>
>>Hey guys:
>>
>>>No one here since I've been reading this listserve has provided any
>>>criteria _at all_ to tell if something is designed just by looking at
>>>it.
>>
>>Are you guys aware of Hubert Yockey's(reference at end) contribution to
>>this from the science of Information theory. He provides the criteria:
>>There is an intelligible difference between _order with low complexity_,
>>which either non-ID or ID can produce, and _order with high complexity_,
>>which only ID can produce.
>>

>Just thought I would point out that Yockey provides no such criteria,
>sorry. In fact _order with high complexity_ is a contridiction in
>terms, at least in the sense that Yockey defines order and complexity.
>
>BTW, Neal, I have Yockey's book right here. Could you tell me on
>what page he discusses using information theory to identify whether
>something is intelligently designed?

Okay, Brian, I'll give you a more direct reference:

Hubert P. Yockey, "Self Organization Origin of Life Scenarios and
Information Theory," Journal of Theoretical Biology 91 (1981), pages 13-31

Neal Roys