Re: Brain Size

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 21:27:40

Glenn Dixon wrote:

>uhmmmmmm....I'm not sure I'm following your math here.....
>Homo erectus brain capacity = 5 X Homo sapien brain usage..???
>
>which would work out to:
>
>Homo erectus brain capacity = 5 X 10%
>Homo erectus brain capacity = 50%
>
>i.e., Homo erectus has half the brain capacity of Homo sapien
>
>did I miss something here?

No, you didn't miss a thing. This is approximately true for the earliest homo
erectus' who had brain capacities of around 750-800 cc. The modern humans
have brain capacities of around 1300 cc and the Neandertal had a brain
capacity of over 1400 cc.

I really don't believe that humans only use 10% of their brain, but I was
making a point. If we beleive something like that, then it is quite possible
for the fossil men to be much more intelligent than we. :-)

glenn
Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm