Re: Transitional fossils (was Latest on Mars)

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:09:09

Stephen,

While I have never seen you change your mind on anything, I will lay out once
again the evidence for the transitional forms between fish and amphibian. I
do not intend to get into a debate with you about this since it probably would
serve no purpose and I don't have the time right now. I am doing other
things.

By the way, I noticed that you didn't tell me one fact which would disprove
the 2-Adam theory. Is there any fact which would disprove that view?

You write:
>Note: I do not rule out that tetrapods may have descended from an
>unknown fish common ancestor. But I do dispute that it is quite as
>"smooth" as some evolutionists like to portray it.

You sure put on a good appearance of ruling out any form of evolution.

Here is the data references are provided so that one can look it up for
themselves:

378 MYR ago- Pandericthys--These are lobe-finned fish. Their brain case is so
much like that of the earliest tetrapod, they were originally classified as
tetrapods until a complete skeleton was found. Then is was proven that they
were really still fish. (Ahlbert and Milner, 1994, p. 508). This fish also
had lungs and nostrils (Schultz and Trueb, 1991, p.87) These things really
looked like tetrapods until you see the fins. The teeth had infolding enamel
which is identical to that of the earliest tetrapods. Unlike all fish but like
the tetrapods, the Panderichthys have lost the dorsal and anal fins, leaving 4
fins in the place where legs would be in the Tetrapods.(Ahlberg and Milner, p.
508. This contradicts Gish's claim that there is no fossil which shows loss of
fins. (Gish, 1978, p. 78-79)

368 MYR-Ichthyostega-- much like Acanthostega but has 7 digits on his
hindlimb. He has lungs. His legs were only good for being in water. They could
not support his weight. (Coates and Clack, 1990, p. 67)

362 MYR- Acanthostega- has four legs, lungs but still has gills. (Coates and
Clack , 1991, p. 234) He has 8 digits on his front leg. His legs could not
support his weight either. (Coats and Clack, 1990, p. 66-67). He has fishlike
lower arm bones (Coates and Clack 1990, p. 67)

558-552 MYR A fossil found in Pennsylvania which is the second oldest
amphibian, has only lungs and no gills and is fully capable of walking on
land. (Washington Post, 117:(239): A2, Mnday Aug. 1, 1994)

Stephen, the transition can be no smoother than the number of fossil forms we
have. We don't have a lot so the sampling is not as smooth as you seem to
think it must be.

glenn

Alberg and Milner, "The origin and Early Diversitfication of Tetrapods,"
Nature April 7, 1994.

Coates and Clack, "Polydactyly in the earliest Known Tetrapod limbs," Nature,
Sept 6, 1990, p. 66-67

Coates and Clack, "Fish-like Gills and breathing in the earliest known
Tetrapod," Nature, 352, July 18, 1991, p. 234-236

Gish, Evolution: the Fossils say No. 1978.

Schultz and Trueb, Origins of The Higher Groups of Tetrapods, Comstock Publ.
Assoc. 1991.

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm