Re: MHC question

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 28 Aug 96 23:08:53 +0800

Group

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:17:23, Glenn Morton wrote:

GM>I have a question for the biologists. The geneticists say that
>the MHC polymorphism would take up to 30 million years to have
>developed.(Ayala et al, "Molecular genetics of speciation and Human
>Origins", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 91:6787-6794, p 6787).
>There is also the conclusion that the hominid population could never
>have been less than a few thousand at any time.
>
>Ayala et al write:
>"The conclusion follows that human ancestral populations could
>never have been smaller than two or three thousand individuals at
>any time over the last several million years. This conclusion might
>be strengthened by taking into account that extensive polymorphisms
>exist at other HLA loci (and at other genes as well). For example,
>63 primate alleles are known of the DRB1 gene, 17 of them in humans.
>As many as 14 DRB1 human alleles predate the origin of Homo erectus,
>9 alleles predate the divergence of the human and chimpanzee
>lineages, and 7 alleles predate the divergence of the human and
>orangutan lineages. Another instance is the occurrence of
>multiallelic polymorphisms in the [beta]- globin family that yield
>at least 17 haplotypes, the coalescence of which goes back to
>450,000 years B.P. or earlier and would be consistent with an
>effective population of 10,000 individuals through that time
>span."~Francisco J. Ayala, Ananias Escalante, Colm O'hUigin and Jan
>Klein, "Molecular Genetics of Speciation and Human Origins," Proc.
>Natl. Acad. Sci, USA, 91:pp6787-6794, July 1994, p. 6791.
>
>Obviously, if this is true, a recent origin of Adam is ruled out.
>This would rule out all young earth views and the views of Hugh
>Ross. But even my view has difficulty with this data and I am
>looking for a solution.

[...]

Why would this rule out "a recent origin of Adam"? If God took Adam
from a pool of anatomically modern hominids between (say) 10,000 -
50,000 years ago, would this not be consistent with him having the
genetic history of those hominids and their primate ancestors?

God bless.

| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 9 448 7439 (These are |