RE: Latest on Mars

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:47:49 -0500

(1) I'm glad you agree with my comments about the difference between an =
absence of data, and data of absence.

I'm still not sure why you feel it's incumbent upon scientists to reject =
even other variants of evolution simply because the oldest, traditional =
version of it ran into a very specific problem that newer versions deal =
with relatively neatly.

(2) Second main issue: does evolutionary theory work better simply =
because natural science demands methodlogical naturalism as part of what =
counts as "working", as you insist? I have not yet seen evidence of =
this, thouogh tactically, I think this you still have a legitimate =
concern. Tactically, science requires methodological naturalism right =
now; strategically, it doesn't.

Tactically, science requires methodological naturalism because as =
science has evolved all the predictively most successful theories have =
had this feature in common, and it keeps things simpler and more =
concrete. (Imagine if Newton's laws had to try to incorporate various =
aspects of the will of God, angels, demons, etc., and yet still be =
experimentally testable. How would this be done?) It wasn't always =
this way (Bible science was common in the 17th and 18th centuries, I =
believe), and this isn't strategically essential to science itself. But =
to change this time-honored presumption, you'll need to show that your =
new version of the scientific enterprise is more useful. How?

If some version of miraculous creationism could end up making broadly =
better predictions than traditional evolutionary theory, the presumption =
in favor of methodological naturalism could gradually be overcome, I =
believe. But I am aware of no compelling signs whatever that that's =
about to happen.

Jim, let me ask you this: do you think any current creationistic =
theories that involve miraculous divine intervention as a part of the =
theory (e.g., YEC, PC) make better predictions concerning currently =
unknown phenomena?

If so, and you seem to believe so, could you give examples? (It would =
be great if we could get a list of the top 5 predictions about things of =
which we're currently ignorant from each camp -- top five evolutionary =
predictions, and the top five miraculous creation predictions -- and =
then wait 10 years and compare the results. Ideally, we would find 5 A =
versus non-A predictions.)

If not, why not?

And if not, do you think that evolutionary theory should be replaced =
even though its competitors make poorer predictions (which is not at all =
to say that evolution, particularly when speaking broadly, makes very =
precise predictions [one needs to get down to specific variants before =
one can get somewhat precise predictions about unknown phenomena])?

Remember: I'm not asking about where evolutionary theory, especially in =
its broadest, most vague versions, doesn't make clear predictions and so =
is less than precisely satisfactory. There are plenty of examples of =
that, we agree. I'm asking where miraculous creation theories offer =
better predictions. (After all, it may well be that evolutionary theory =
is like democracy and capitalism: the worst systems around, except for =
all the others.)

Or perhaps science should move away from empirically predictive (or =
explanatory?) success, in your view?

I think you must go one way or the other here, and maybe this is the =
watershed dividing you from most scientists: if you think empirical =
success should be the guiding light, then even empirically weak (viz a =
viz physics, e.g.) theories like evolution broadly construed will =
prevail until a miraculous creation rival can do better. (Evolution =
narrowly construed can do much better or worse, empirically.) On the =
other hand, if you don't think that empirical success should be the =
guiding light, then come out and say so, and we can debate that. And =
this question is legitimate -regardless- of any issue of methodlogical =
naturalism.

--John

P. S. The "functional" versus "historical" breakdown os science is =
inadequate, I believe. Even historical science is very functionally =
oriented, trying to make predictions about genetics, the fossil record, =
etc. Truth is its long-term goal, I agree, as it is in all science =
(except for post-moderns, certain positivists, and certain radical =
Kuhnians). But that doesn't mean there isn't a strongly pragamatic, =
results-oriented focus in the historical sciences just as in the =
operational sciences. And on this results-oriented basis, the =
miraculous creation theories have, so far anyway, come up a bit short.