Re: Latest on Mars

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:14:14 -0500

Jim Bell writes:

>Steve Clark writes:
>
><< In my post that you respond to, Jim, I did not
>offer any defense of punctuated equilibrium, and I will not do so in the
>future.>>

JB
>Well, Chuck had asked if evolution, in its current form, was falsifiable. You
>responded:
SC
><<Sure it is falsifiable. In fact some on this reflector claim that the
>paucity of transitional species and the tempo with which species disappear
>and new species appear in the fossil record disprove evolution. Of course,
>there is not universal agreement of this.>>
JB
>It seemed fair to ask, then, how this example--paucity of transitional
>species--was falsifiable.

My statement quoted above only reported what others on the reflector have
previously claimed. It had to do with how others claim that Darwinian
evolution has been falsified. I don't see how it begs a question for me to
defend whether punctuated equilibrium is falsifiable or not.

JB
the absence of transitional data is not
>subject to experimentation. It is historical science. And it is not a side
>issue. It strikes at the very heart of the Darwinian prediction. Verification
>has been sought for over 100 years. Finally, with a virtually complete fossil
>record, the essential prediction is foiled. In its place, someone proposes an
>alternative hypothesis, punk eek (itself a REJECTION of the traditional
>model), but the problem with it is that it defies falsifiability.
>
>No wonder you don't want to defend it!

You read too much into my unwillingness to defend punctuated equilibrium.
As I said, my reason for this is that I do not know enough about the model
and data for/against it to offer any sort of defense OR refutation. In
other words, the limitation that prevents me from participating in this
debate is me, not the model.

steve
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53792

"Universities are full of knowledge; the freshmen bring a little in,
the seniors take none away...the knowledge accumulates." Mark Twain