Re: Christ and Creation II

lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 11:49:58 -0400 (EDT)

Paul wrote:

PD> I have noted a number of scriptural references to Christ's role as
> Creator.
>
> I was wondering if there was an interest in developing a discussion on
> these issues by the believers (TE's and creationists) on the list. While
> we are certainly not experts in theology, the effort would certainly
> prove fruitful to a broader understanding of our respective positions. I
> firmly believe that the defense of a theistic position regarding origins
> needs to include a fairly good understanding of its scriptural
> implications.
>
> I'm proposing the introduction of a scriptural reference with each of us
> posting their thoughts on how that scripture fits with our claims
> regarding origins.

Before I join in, I want to be sure we're distinguishing TE (which
emphasizes mindful intention and providential control) from Deism. I
won't be arguing for the latter!

PD> Colossians 1:15-17 NAS reads:
>
> "And He (Christ) is the image of the
> invisible God, the first-born of all
> creation. For by him all things were
> created, both in the heavens and on earth,
> visible and invisible, whether thrones or
> dominions or rulers or authorities... all
> things have been created by Him and for
> Him. And He is before all things and in Him
> all things hold together."
>
> From an TE or creationist perspective, does
> this verse tell us that:
>
> 1. Christ was the agent for all creation,
> as opposed to the earth or waters?

I'd say yes. The earth and waters were themselves created.
They do not create.

> 2. He is the active creative agent for all
> things today?
>
> 3. that Christ's preeminant power holds all
> things together as opposed to natural
> processes?

I would put it this way: The fact that Christ's preeminant power holds
all things together is the REASON we see regular, "natural" processes.

Very shortly I'll be posting a proposed talk.origins FAQ on theism,
providence, and chance. There is much in there that is relevant to this
discussion, so I won't repeat it here.

In theory, there is no difference between | Loren Haarsma
theory and practice, but in practice | lhaarsma@opal.tufts.edu
there is a great deal of difference. |