RE: rapid evolution & another mutation

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Tue, 09 Jul 96 20:01:08 +0800

Group

On Thu, 04 Jul 1996 15:21:14, Glenn Morton wrote:

SJ>Now Glenn is "playing" his own "semantic game". He clearly says
>above that "Christian apologists give" a "view" that "there needs to
>be millions of them (mutation ) in order to change from one species
>to another". He attempted to support this with quotes from said
>"Christian apologists" writings. Now he finds his quotes don't
>really support his view, so he switches his claim to only that "their
>view NEEDS millions of mutations".

GM>No, Stephen, I do not agree with you here. This thread started
>because I pointed out that relatively few mutations were required to
>make most of the morphological transtion between one species and
>another--8 in the case of monkey flowers and possibly 5 in the case
>of corn.

Firstly, I thank Glenn for his temperate response. If he keeps this
up, I might even start responding to him direct! :-)

Secondly, I do not disagree with the above, ie. that "relatively few
mutations were required to make most of the morphological transtion
between one species and another". The only point I asked Glenn for
further clarification on was his claim on Wed, 19 Jun 1996 21:55:42
that:

"The often cited view Christian apologists give of the effects of
mutation is that there needs to be millions of them in order to
change from one species to another. This is wrong. Mutations to
particular places on the DNA alter the morphology drastically without
killing the individual or harming him badly enough to cause him not
to be able to compete."

On Fri, 21 Jun 96 06:40:45 +0800, I asked:

"Perhaps Glenn can give examples where "Christian apologists" claim
that "millions" of "mutations" are needed "in order to change from
one species to another"?"

To date Glenn has been unable to substantiate his claim with *even
one* quote by "Christian apologists" that "there needs to be
millions of them (mutations) in order to change from one species to
another".

[...]

I will resist Glenn's usual red-herrings and rest my case! :-)

God bless.

| 3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones |
| Perth, West Australia v (My opinions, not my employer's) |