Re: God's Intervention (was Developmental Evolutionary Bi.

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 4 May 1996 11:23:19 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 4 May 1996, Terry M. Gray wrote:

Bill H.:
> >>That's what it amounts to. Denis claims that TEs/ECs don't even
> >>believe that God intervened in the origin of life, although perhaps
> >>Terry Gray disagrees with him on that?
> >
> >Denis? Terry? (probably your definitions of "intervene" are important here)

Terry G.:
> Maybe he did--maybe he didn't. It's an open question and so I'm completely
> open to scientific theories that don't appeal to divine intervention that
> attempt to explain the origin of life. But if he didn't *intervene*, he
> was still in absolute control of the process through his providential
> governance of the world. It happened exactly when, where, and how He wanted
> it to. It was designed by him for His purpose. It could not have
> originated without God (nothing happens apart from God's sustaining and
> governing power).
>
> This is one reason by I am dumbfounded by Steve's claim that if the origin
> of life is shown to have occurred apart from some miracle that the
> Christian faith would crumble. Unbelievers WILL suppress the truth--they
> used Newtonian physics and atomism to deny a role for God. But coming to a
> scientific understanding of how God governs/governed does not in the least
> remove him from the picture. Steve, Phil Johnson and many others confuse
> the reality of the situation from the perspective from the unbelieving
> heart.

Hi Bill,
What more can be said? I cannot state it any better than Dr. Gray, I
agree 110%. And I might add, it is with this methodology that I practise
both experimental developmental biology and clinical dentistry.

Regards,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."