Re: Can you be objective about evolution?

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:30:09 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

> Denis posted:
> >> 3. My question is whether you [Art C.] can be objective--doesn't your
> >> Adventist theology demand a young-earth, special creationist perspective?
>
> >Well, my mom always said I was a slow learner, but this kinda solves the
> >mystery of Art's view on origins for me. Nothing need be said beyond
> >this.
> >
> >Many times on the reflector we hear of conspiracy stories on how the
> >modern secular university inhibits Christians from seeing the "light" of
> >YEC or PC. Inversely, can it be said that at religiously based
> >institutions a similar dynamic occurs?
> >
> >How about Art? Do you have to sign some sort of creationist statement of
> >faith at the college where you are teaching that philosophy of science
> >course? Any chance it is skewing you, to use your words, from "being
> >objective about evolution?"
>
> While I do not think Denis' ad hominem remarks are worthy of a response, I
> would like to address a couple of points he raises.
>
> In my senior year of high school, I completed an honors humanities course
> taught by an avowed atheist. Although I was an Episcopalian, partly through
> the influence of that class, I entered college a convicted evolutionist and
> agnostic (as I think many high school students do). However, at a major
> state university in California, I had three experiences that profoundly
> affected my life. My Chemistry professor, one of the best teachers I have
> ever encountered (and the author of a well known Chemistry textbook, took
> nearly an entire lecture period prior to Christmas break to share his
> profound faith in Jesus Christ and a meaningful creator with the entire 500
> plus students. That shook me. Then in my Biology course, I was pressing
> the professor (a Berkeley Developmental Biologist) on the nature of
> (cellular) life. After attempting to answer my question in class, he asked
> me to see him after class. He took me to his office, and very carefully
> explained to me that he saw life as more than an accident, and that he
> believed there had to be a "Higher Power" involved. That shook me. During
> the same semester, I met a devout Catholic student. He and I began to have
> bible studies, discovered there was a commandment to keep Sabbath, and
> decided to do so before I had ever heard of Seventh Day Adventists. I have
> never needed anyone to coach me regarding my beliefs. I hope that helps you
> to get around your profound prejudice, Denis.

HI ART,
Good learn of your spiritual journey, and praise for those Godly profs who
were instrumental in your conversion. However, I don't believe you dealt
with my questions:

> >Many times on the reflector we hear of conspiracy stories on how the
> >modern secular university inhibits Christians from seeing the "light" of
> >YEC or PC. Inversely, can it be said that at religiously based
> >institutions a similar dynamic occurs?
> >
> >How about Art? Do you have to sign some sort of creationist statement of
> >faith at the college where you are teaching that philosophy of science
> >course? Any chance it is skewing you, to use your words, from "being
> >objective about evolution?"

So how about Art?

Regards,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."