Re: Science and super... [2/2]

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 20:28:20 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Brian,
Lovely post!

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Brian D. Harper wrote:

> Let the
> Creationists dig their own graves, here and now.
> If you have to argue with them at all, make them
> make predictions about what is impossible -- not in
> generalities, but in specifics. And then sit back
> and wait for those predictions to fall like flies.
> -- Deaddog, t.o

So true! How often have I tried to get the Stephen Jones's of the world
to give me a model of their so-called science of origins? And I have yet
to see them offer one. Why? Probably because they intuitively know that
good 'ole Deaddog is right.

Regarding the Kepler quote, I could not help but modify it.
ALL THE CAPITALIZED WORDS ARE MINE:

> This is the correct scientific approach
> as far as I'm concerned and those who can't deal with it
> should take A MODIFICATION OF Kepler's advice:
>
> If someone is so dumb that he cannot grasp the
> science of EVOLUTION, or so weak that he cannot
> believe DARWIN without offending his piety,
> I advise him to mind his own business, to quit
> this worldly pursuit, to stay at home and cultivate
> his own garden, and when he turns his eyes toward
> PLANTS AND ANIMALS (the only way he sees them),
> let him with his whole heart pour forth praise and
> gratitude to God the Creator. Let him assure himself that
> he is serving God no less than the EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGIST
> whom God has granted the privelege of seeing more
> clearly with the eyes of the mind.
> -- Johannes Kepler, as quoted by Owen Gingerich
> in "Dare a Scientist Believe in Design,"
> in _Evidence of Purpose_, J.M. Templeton,
> ed., Continuum, New York, 1994, p.28.

Sums it all up for me.

Regards,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."