Re: How did we get that way?

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:40:47 -0500

Bill Hamilton writes:
>A while ago a reflectorite asked me privately if I could explain why
>reconciliation between Scripture and Science was such a big issue among
>evangelicals.

Just a small point here: the issue has not been limited to "evangelicals".
There is a significant history from the Enlightenment, through Common Sense
philosophy that permeated US universities in 18th and 19th centuries, in
which it has been important to reconcile science and scripture. Sometimes
the focus in nature and having the Bible comport to what is observed, in
other cases, the focus in on the Bible and having nature comport to what is
understood. It is easy to see why these two groups are at odds with one
another and controversy reigns.

It seems to me that what would be best would be a middle ground in which the
focus is based on what seems to be the best evidence. This would require us
to acknowledge the limitations that are present in the way we understand
scripture and interpret nature, then use information from both to come to a
cohesive understanding of the creation.

Cheers,

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53792

"To disdain philosophy is really to be a philosopher." Blaise Pascal, Pensees