Re: How did we get that way?

Michael McCulloch (mmccullo@usit.net)
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 20:55:52 -0400

Bill Hamilton[SMTP:whamilto@mich.com] wrote:

> A while ago a reflectorite asked me privately if I could explain why
> reconciliation between Scripture and Science was such a big issue among
> evangelicals...

[deleted]

> I'm curious about the rest of you -- whatever your stance. If
> you are a creationist now, or have been one at one time, was the
rationale
> for creationism ever carefully explained to you.

As one raised in a fundamentalist environment, creationism was important
because:

1) Inerrancy doctrine.

If the scriptures are inerrant, then there *must* be a way to correlate the
Genesis account with science. Inerrancy is also mixed with literalism to
varying degrees. If any one part of scripture can be discounted, then all
can be discounted.

2) Theology of death and sin.

Central to the understanding of death and sin is the original sinless
paradise of Eden. It was not God's intent that man should die. Death and
sin was man's choice. Evolution implies man was not "created" (or
hand-crafted from the dust of the earth by God himself) in an immortal,
sinless state and he did not experience said choice. Therefore, the entire
theology of redemption is at risk.

I believe those two issues are the rationale for creationism.

---Michael McCullochmmccullo@usit.netOak Ridge, TN