Re: Darwin's "Creator" (was Re[2]: Hello)

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 15:41:34 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings Stephen,

Brian Harper just finished writing to you (7 Apr) regarding your READING
SKILLS and handling of texts:

> Steve. Its no wonder people end up either shouting at you or
> ignoring you. You read through a popular level book describing
> the "new biology" and you conclude (apparently) almost immediately
> that the results are evidence for PC or ID, nevermind that
> Goodwin has spent many years developing these ideas and doesn't
> see this overwhelming evidence you speak of.

> I suspect you missed the point of the book entirely . . .

I could not agree more with Brian, especially after seeing you attempt
to enter the world of Darwin Scholarship 24 Mar 96.

However, I must admit I am flattered because I believe I have encouraged
you to reseach some of the Darwin PRIMARY LITERATURE. So that Phase I of
your education has started, we can now work on Phase II--a course in
learning how to read the PRIMARY LITERATURE, which in reality is
simply a course in Remedial Reading.

For those who want a flaming example of EISEGESIS please read the Darwin
quotes Stephen cites in their full context in the "Origin of Species" and
then read Stephen's interpretation of them. One may not believe in
biological evolution, but one will believe in intellectual
evolution because Stephen transmutates Darwin's words into an entirely
new species by his commentary in just one post. And once you see how
Stephen skews Darwin, ask yourself the question, "Does Stephen do the same
with his science?" Is Stephen to be trusted when he quotes evolutionary
biologists in the name of his creationism?

On Sun, 24 Mar 1996, Stephen Jones wrote:

> Group
>
> On Sat, 16 Mar 1996 13:09:43 -0700 (MST) Denis Lamoureux wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> DL>2) Concordance to the 1st Ed of The Origin. Paul H. Barrett, et.
> >al., eds. Cornell U Press (1981). Yep, just like in theology, a
> >concordance. Of note, there are 7 unapologetic and positive
> >references to the Creator (yes, capital "C"). Pp. 186, 188, 189,
> >413, 413 and 489. The word definitely does not show up in that
> >famous (brilliant . . . oh, oh, I'll be getting a blast for this from
> >Stephen Jones ;-) last sentence.
>
> Even allowing for the wink smilicon, I have no idea why Denis should
> assume that I don't think Darwin was a "brilliant" writer. For the
> record, I believe that Darwin was a genius, and I think his writing in
> the Origin was superb, and at times even "brilliant".

Lovely. Thank you. You can count on me going out on my way to use your
words here against you in some future post. So, you've been warned.

STEPHEN'S THESIS:
> But as to Denis' assertion that these references to a "Creator" were
> "unapologetic and positive", I disagree. I will post all references by
> Darwin to a "Creator" in his Origin of Species with some comment by
> me, and let Reflectorites judge for themselves:

> 1. Darwin believed that that theistic statements "it has pleased the
> Creator" are meaningless:
>
> "He who believes in separate and innumerable acts of creation
> may say that in these cases it has pleased the Creator to
> cause a being of one type to take the place of one belonging
> to another type; but this seems to me only re-stating the fact
>
> in dignified language." (Darwin C., "The Origin of Species",
> 6th edition, 1872, Everyman's Library, J.M. Dent & Sons Ltd:
> London, 1967 reprint, p164).

Stephen, do you know who Darwin is addressing in this quote? It is the
scholarship of the day--Progressive Creationism. The entire "Origin of
Species" is a polemic against the PC in his day. It is not an attack on
the Creator. For that matter, read what is stated: according to Darwin
the language of the PCs is only a "re-stating [of] the fact" . . . of
what? Yes, the FACT of the Creator's work. So, Stephen, you're wrong.

This is "an unapologetic and positive" reference to the "Creator (yes,
capital "C")". My thesis stands, you are wrong.

Of course, it certainly is not your Creator or your view of creation--but
I then never said it was.

You might be interested to know that while on Beagle (1831-1836) Darwin
wrote in his diary:

"Periods of Creation have been distinct & remote the one from the other;
that the Creator rested in his labor."

Yep, Darwin once was a PC, just like you!!! Anyone want to say Darwin was
maybe truckling in his OWN diary? And, yes, there is that capital "C"
again.

And here just a few other Diary quotes to tell you where Darwin was
theologically while on the Beagle:

"One hand has surely worked throughout the universe"

Kinda sounds like Ps 19, eh?

"Amongst the scenes which are deeply impressed on my mind, none exceed
in sublimity the primeval forests, . . . [for they] are temples filled
with the varied productions of the God of Nature. No one can stand
unmoved in these solitudes, without feeling that there is more in man
than the mere breath of his body."

Sounds like a fairly theological fellow, eh? More anon.

> 2. Darwin denies that there is any analogy between "the Creator" and
> human "intellectual power". He therefore implicitly denies the
> Biblical doctrine that man is made in the image of God. Darwin's
> "Creator" if He even exists, is therefore presumably unknowable:
>
> "It is scarcely possible to avoid comparing the eye with a
> telescope. We know that this instrument has been perfected by
>
> the long-continued efforts of the highest human intellects;
> and we naturally infer that the eye has been formed by a
> somewhat analogous process. But may not this inference be
> presumptuous? Have we any right to assume that the Creator
> works by intellectual powers like those of man?" (Darwin,
> p169).

Your commentary on this passage simply takes my breath away. WOW! Is
there anyone of the Stephen supporters on this reflector who want to agree
with him here? Stephen, you have made some pretty outrageous
statements on the reflector but this is got to be the most outrageous.

This is a passage that FULLY supports the existence of the Creator!!! It
is debating on whether the Creator's method of creation is analogous to
man's creative methods. In a way (and I won't push this too far because I
don't think Darwin is actually using a Biblical category here), it is like
saying, "God's ways are not man's ways," more specially, God's way of
creating is not like man's way of creating. To suggest otherwise, as
Darwin claims, is "presumptuous." This is a passage that FULLY maintains
the reality and existence of the Creator, the debate is on how the Creator
created.

This is "an unapologetic and positive" reference to the "Creator (yes,
capital "C")". My thesis stands, you are wrong.

> 3. Indeed, Darwin's "Creator" is just "a power, represented by natural
> selection"*:
>
> "If we must compare the eye to an optical instrument, we ought
>
> in imagination to take a thick layer of transparent tissue,
> with spaces filled with fluid, and with a nerve sensitive to
> light beneath, and then suppose every part of this layer to be
> continually changing slowly in density, so as to separate into
>
> layers of different densities and thicknesses, placed at
> different distances from each other, and with the surfaces of
> each layer slowly changing in form. Further we must suppose
> that there is a power, represented by natural selection or the
> survival of the fittest, always intently watching each slight
> alteration in the transparent layers; and carefully preserving
>
> each which, under varied circumstances, in any way or in any
> degree, tends to produce a distinctive image. We must suppose
>
> each new state of the instrument to be multiplied by the
> million; each to be preserved until a better one is produced,
> and then the old ones to be all destroyed. In living bodies,
> variation will cause the slight alterations, generation will
> multiply them almost infinitely) and natural selection will
> pick out with unerring skill each improvement. Let this
> process go on for millions of years- and during each year on
> millions of individuals of many kinds and may we not believe
> that a living optical instrument might thus be formed as
> superior to one of glass, as the works of the Creator are to
> those of man?" (Darwin, pp169-170).
>
> *Darwin's personnification of natural selection makes it difficult to
> escape the conclusion that his God was natural selection.

Stephen, remarkable statement. Do you not even read your own rhetoric
after you have written down? You just "concluded" that Darwin's God is
natural selection, but in Point # 7 below you state:

> 7. Darwin denied special creation and believed in a deistic "Creator"
> who impressed laws on matter:

So what is it Stephen? Is Darwin's God natural selection or a deistic
"Creator"???? Pick one! You can't have it both ways.

Now regarding the quote in Point #4, you are correct--Darwin does make use
of personification. It is a literary device often used in English. Read
all the references to a Creator in "The Origin of Species" and you'll note
that Darwin believed in a Creator. Then come to this passage and the only
logical interpretation is that he personifies Natural Selection . . . no
more no less. One could use the very same literary device to describe
ecological relationships today.

Again (cf. previous point # 2), Darwin is arguing the theme that the
Creator's method of creation is superior to that of man:

> Let this
> process go on for millions of years- and during each year on
> millions of individuals of many kinds and may we not believe
> that a living optical instrument might thus be formed as
> superior to one of glass, as the works of the Creator are to
> those of man?" (Darwin, pp169-170).

This is "an unapologetic and positive" reference to the "Creator (yes,
capital "C")". My thesis stands, you are wrong.

> 4. Darwin denied that "structures have been created for the sake of
> beauty, to delight man or the Creator" (ie. he denied teleology as a
> scientific explantion), and in fact claimed that "Such doctrines, if
> true, would be absolutely fatal to my theory"*:
>
> "The foregoing remarks lead me to say a few words on the
> protest lately made by some naturalists, against the
> utilitarian doctrine that every detail of structure has been
> produced for the good of its possessor. They believe that
> many structures have been created for the sake of beauty, to
> delight man or the Creator (but this latter point is beyond
> the scope of scientific discussions), or for the sake of mere
> variety, a view already discussed. Such doctrines, if true,
> would be absolutely fatal to my theory." (Darwin, p184).
>
> *Note that Darwin, whose degree was in theology would be well aware
> that Christianity taught exactly that:

Stephen, this is not an general attack on teleology!!! You grossly
overstate your case. This is a passage against the Utilitarian Doctrine
that "every detail" of biological structure has been ordained by the
Creator and has a purpose. Darwin believed in
a Creator who set up laws (thus by definition he believed in a teleology,
albeit a general overall teleology), but that at
the level of details there appeared to be an operative dysteleology.
Support for my interpretation is found in an 1870 letter to Richard Hooker