Re: An appology(?) and a Question.

David J. Tyler (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:37:24 GMT

Gordie wrote:

> In this regard, my experience,
> when we lived in England for a year, was that we encountered very many
> politically liberal Christians who were very solidly prolife. Of course
> they believed in the sanctity of human life. And (rightly or wrongly),
> they were often opposed to capital punishment. My guess is that many more
> of them than American Christians are TE minded.
>
> Perhaps David Tyler can shed some light on these matters.

Very briefly: You are right. The influence of Francis Schaeffer is
crucial to interpreting the reaction of British evangelicals to life
issues. Prior to his films/books, evangelicals did not see abortion
as an "issue" - we have a problem with people compartmentalising
their faith. The lead was taken by Roman Catholics - and probably
still is. Evangelicals are now active in life issues, green issues,
education issues, etc - but we still need to work at integration
within a coherent Christian worldview. The compartmentalisation
problem is why I would hesitate to link involvement with any "issue"
with any "position" people take on understanding Genesis/origins/etc.
But to respond to Russ's question: everyone I know with definite
convictions on origins (whether TE, PC, YEC) is also prolife.

Best wishes,

*** From David J. Tyler, CDT Department, Hollings Faculty,
Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
Telephone: 0161-247-2636 ***