Re: Design-for-self-assembly and intervention

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Mon, 05 Feb 96 21:57:33 EST

Jim

On Fri, 2 Feb 96 10:57:40 MST you wrote:

[...]

BH>I don't think you'd have to press Eldredge. His view seems to be
>that the Darwinian label has been hijacked by the ultra-Darwinists.

>You wouldn't have to press Gould either. In one of his books (I could
>find where if pressed), he says something to the effect that he although
>is not one of the most ardent of Darwinists, he wears the label
>"Darwinian" with some pride.

Indeed:

"I, although I wear the Darwinian label with some pride, am not among
the most ardent defenders of natural selection." (Gould S.J., "Ever
Since Darwin", Penguin: London, 1977, p39)

Regards.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |