Re: Gish's honesty (was Genetic Similarity)

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Tue, 09 Jan 96 05:57:15 EST

Jim

On Thu, 4 Jan 96 12:40:12 MST you wrote:

SJ>Gish (a biochemist) confirmed that in order for animals to eat,
>"All of the key molecules in plants, animals, and man had to be the
same. The metabolism of plants, animals, and man, based on the same
>biochemical principles, had to be similar, and therefore key
>metabolic pathways would employ similar macromolecules."

[...]

JF>I consider Gish totally untrustworthy, even on something that
appears relevant to his expertise in biochemistry (although I suspect
that the question of what molecules we could digest has more to do
with physiology than biochemistry).

This parallels a exchange you and I were having privately. Although I
am not a YEC, and I do not deny that some members of the ICR may be
"untrustworthy", I have seen no evidence that its leaders (eg. Gish
and Morris) are dishonest. That is, that they deliberately try to
mislead others by making statements as true that they really know are
false.

Now that you have raised the issue publicly on the Reflector, I would
ask you to substantiate your charge that Dr Gish is "totally
untrustworthy", bearing in mind that one respected member of the
Reflector knows Dr Gish personally and has vouched to me privately his
confidence in the latter's honesty.

I think this is an important issue, because it illustrates that some
evolutionists feel the need to discredit creationists personally, in
order to weaken their case, and leave evolution standing as the winner
by default. That they feel the need to do this, suggests to me that
there must be something wrong with the evolutionist case.

In posting his evidence, I would also ask you to consider the
important distinction between: 1. being intellectually wrong (ie.
mistaken), and 2. being morally wrong (ie. dishonest). These
two are mutually exlusive. A person mistakenly making a statement
does not know he/she is wrong (otherwise it would not be a mistake),
and a person making a dishonest statement must know that he/she is
wrong (otherwise it would not be dishonest).

In other words, you must produce evidence of 2., not 1.

[...]

Regards.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |