Re: pamphlet part IV

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Sat, 06 Jan 96 07:32:53 EST

Group

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996 15:55:35 -0700 (MST) Denis wrote:

DL>Fine point here. I tried unsuccessfully to get this point across
>to Stephen Jones. If you don't have the tools to be a scholar, it is
>pretty tough to judge scholarship.

Yes, it's tough being "unlearned and ignorant" (Acts 4:13)! :-)

One wonders why, if it is so "tough to judge scholarship", that
scholars even bother to write books for us plebs?

But even plebs can understand some things that real "scholars"
even write, such as:

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."

Indeed, they can even read (albeit in an interlinear! <g>) what
another scholar once wrote wrote:

"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all
knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not
love, I am nothing." (1Cor 13:2).

The same scholar also wrote:

"Love is patient, love is kind...it does not boast, it is not proud."
(1Cor 13:4),

and:

"Love...is not rude..." (1Cor 13:5).

But then maybe this latter scholar did not have all the benefits of
modern "professional scholarship"? :-)

God bless.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |