Re: An Apology For Stephen Jones

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Sat, 06 Jan 96 10:02:02 EST

Denis

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996 20:49:40 -0700 (MST) you wrote:

DL>Dear Stephen and the Reflectorites,
>Stephen it appears I have insulted you. I am sincerely sorry that I have
>hurt your feelings. However, with regard to my academic assessment of
>the quality of your argument I remain firm.

Unfortunately I don't regard this as a real apology. It seems that
Denis' idea of "academic assessment" is whether the eminent OT
scholars I quoted from (eg. Edward J. Young, Gerhard von Rad, Walther
Eichrodt), agreed with his unreferenced assertions.

All along, my point was not that Denis was wrong, but that he
cites only one side of the academic debate as though that was
a certainty.

I simply pointed out there was another side, and gave quotes and
references, to which Denis did not reply, but began a campaign of
personal denigration.

If that is what passes for "academic assessment" among Denis'
circle of "professional scholarship", then I regard not being
regarded favourably by such "scholars" as a recommendation! :-)

However, I suspect it is not these "professional scholars"
real views, but rather Denis' undocumented portrayal of their
views. The real "professional scholars" I have met, have been
very humble human beings, who don't put down those less
academically qualified than they are.

God bless.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |