Re: pamphlet Part III

Brian D. Harper (bharper@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:31:20 -0500

Stephen wrote:

>Jim
>
>On Thu, 21 Dec 95 11:11:57 MST you wrote:
>[...]
>
>JF>If God designed species to form a harmonious ecology, one might
>>well expect species to be designed to help one another. But, as far
>>as we know, they aren't.
>
>[...]
>
>This is typical of evolutionary "pop theology", what Johnson calls the
>"God wouldn't have done it this way" argument. I am amazed at the
>confidence, that atheists/agnostics assert about what God would or
>would not do. Their self-assurance in the things of God is truly
>breath-taking, doubly so because they believe that God does not
>exist or cannot be known!
>
>Human beings have trouble working out what other human beings
>(including themselves) would do in any given circumstances, let alone
>what an omniscient Creator would do in designing a world!

While I agree with what you say from a theological point of view,
I hope you realize that you severely undermine your own position
in giving this argument. To use Burgie's metaphor, playing this
card results in an automatic forfeiture ;-). It is just too
convenient, no matter what difficulty is raised, you can always
counter "well, you just don't know what an omnipotent, omniscient
God would do".

Also, I think you are guilty of doing just what Jim has done.
Several times you have said that PC allows for horizontal
evolution but no vertical. Now, Jim can respond to this just
as you have responded to him. "My what confidence you have
in asserting what God would or wouldn't do"

Brian Harper |
Associate Professor | "It is not certain that all is uncertain,
Applied Mechanics | to the glory of skepticism" -- Pascal
Ohio State University |