Re: Sarah's "seminal emission" (was Creatio ex nihilo)

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 21:36:59 -0700 (MST)

My Dear UNCLEAN Brother Glenn,

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995 GRMorton@aol.com wrote:

> Dave Probert wrote:
>
> >And somebody, please tell me what `eisegesis' is.
>
> Denis firmly affixed that label to me last spring and he was kind enough to
> explain it to me. I am a dedicated eisegesisist! It means attaching modern
> concepts to an ancient document. It is an "unclean" hermeneutical approach.
> Have I gotten it right, Denis? :-)
>
> glenn

Sorry, if I have scarred you for life ;-). Your definition is operable.
But I always appeal to the Greek to help me remember, and in a way this
word and another (EXEGESIS) provide principle rubrics under which my
hermeneutics operate.

eis: prep. for "in or into"
ek: prep. for "out or out of"
Egeomai: verb for "to guide"

Thus, exegesis: to guide out of the text
eisegesis: to guide into the text

Ideally, we want the Bible to shape us, not us to shape the Bible. So
when that incurable eisegete Glenn takes his WONDERFULLY CORRECT view
of evolutionary science and JAMS & SQUEEZES into those wonderfully
Holy Spirit inspired first chapters of the Word of God
I pray: "Lord, forgive him, for he does not know what he is doing . . ."

Hope this is helpful.

Awaiting for a blast from my directly southern neighbor.

Blessings,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."