Re: second law

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 15:06:54 -0700 (MST)

Greetings Jim,
One of your comments caught my attention, and I would like to address it
from my perspective.

On 25 Mar 1995, Jim Bell wrote:

> 1. The gaps in the essentially complete fossil record make affirmation of a
> "gapless" economy robust enough to form new, complex lifeforms rationally
> problematic.

What you state with regard to "gaps" is indeed true, though it must be
underlined that transitory forms are also being discovered--eg, the
recent discovery of Ambulocetus.

But more importantly, I would like to emphasize that your statement is
one in the context/from the perspective of morphology. More
specifically, if one only considers say for example the fin to limb
transition in a morphological context, then one cannot help but be
suspicious of such an evolutionary transition. However, if one views the
fin and limb in a developmental context, recognizing the homologous
genetic (HoxD series) and developmental (sonic hedgehog, Zone of
Polarizing Activity) mechanisms, and if one appreciates the dramatic
morphologically change that can be instituted experimentally in limbs
with minor changes to the aforementionned biological mechanisms, then it
is possible to look at the current "gaps" in the fossil record and
appreciate them as only statements of level/nature of our investigation.
That is, from a developmental perspective, the width of the gaps are not
as great as they are to one whose expertise operates in morphological
categories.

For your consideration.

In Him,
Denis

Hey Jim,
I hope you don't think this is my pick on Jim day seeing I just finished
sending you a rather critic post with regard to Gen 1. But I just got
into my postpone messages box and forgot to send this one to you back in
the spring. Again I hope this post like the previous one is taken in
the constructive spirit in which it was written. Amen.

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."