Re: Time/Cambrian Explosion

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Fri, 15 Dec 95 06:44:13 EST

Denis

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995 00:06:12 -0700 (MST) you wrote:

[...]

>The "bad theology" I refer to is the exegesis of Gen 1-11. I can't think
>of many evangelical professional theologians who actually work on these
>early chapters (ie, publish in professional journals) and hold to
>YEC or PC exegetical models...actually can't think of one.

[...]

I can't speak for YEC, but as for PC, try Kidner, who while he doesn't
declare for PC, seems to hold views compatible with PC:

"To the present author various converging lines point to an Adam much
nearer our own times than the early tool-makers and artists, let alone
their remote forbears. On the face of it, the ways of life described
in Genesis 4 are those of the neolithic and first metal-working
cultures alluded to above, i.e., of perhaps eight or ten thousand
years ago, less or more. The memory of names and genealogical details
also suggests a fairly compact period between Adam and Noah1 rather
than a span of tens or hundreds of millennia, an almost unimaginable
stretch of time to chronicle." (Kidner D., "Genesis: An Introduction
and Commentary" Tyndale Press: London, 1967, p28).

As for mainstream evangelical theologians, try Erickson:

"More adequate is the position termed progressive creationism.
According to this view, God created in a series of acts over a long
period of time. He created the first member of each "kind." That
grouping may have been as broad as the order or as narrow as the
genus. In some cases it may have extended to the creation of
individual species. From that first member of the group, the others
developed by evolution. So, for example, God may have created the
first member of the cat family." (Erickson M.J., "Christian
Theology", Baker: Grand Rapids MI, 1985, p383)

Mostly in the "exegesis of Gen 1-11" by "evangelical professional
theologians" the issue of PC does not arise. Most will simply point
out that Gn 1-11 does not require belief that the days of Gn 1 were
24-hours or that the Flood covered the whole Earth, and get on with
exegeting the text for its real meaning (ie. making one wise unto
salvation 2Tim 3:15).

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |