Re: Human explosion (fwd)

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Sun, 03 Dec 95 22:30:36 EST

Burgy

On 20 Nov 95 18:40:24 EST you wrote:

>Stephen paraphrases my remarks (or summarizes them) as follows:

SJ>"This seems to be saying, "Even if God did create the universe,
life
>and life's major groups, it is better for science to ignore that
>possibility"? :-)
>""

JWB>Pretty close. I'd rephrase it as follows: "God DID create the
universe,
>life on earth, and life on earth's major groups. Notwithstanding
>this fact, it is right and proper and optimum, both historically (since the
>Epicureans), presently and for the forseeable future, for scientists
>(as scientists) to pursue their craft as if that fact were not so."

[...]

I think you will find that the God of the Bible does not think that
"it is right and proper for the "Epicureans" and their modern
descendants "to pursue their craft as if that fact" (ie. that God
created the universe) "were not so."

Read Acts 17:18ff where Paul addresses Epicurean philosophers and
calls on them (along with all men) to "repent" (Acts 17:20).

If God the God the Bible is real and not just a figment of our
imaginations, and He did in fact "create the universe, life and life's
major groups", it is ultimately intellectual suicide "for science to
ignore that possibility".

Indeed, in the end perhaps it is just another form of idolatry - a
worship of the creature rather than the Creator (Romans 1:25)?

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |