Testing the "biotic message"

lhaarsma@opal.tufts.edu
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 17:06:40 -0500 (EST)

Walter ReMine wrote:

> Let me pose you a challenge. A thought experiment. You are the designer.
> You are to design life for survival, and to look like the product of one
> designer. Here comes the hard part:
> Can you design the system to resist all naturalistic (or
> evolutionary) explanations? What would that system be
> like? Can you describe it? Can evolutionists design a
> system of life they could not explain away?

This is intriguing. Let me suggest one. (You've probably already thought
of it, but I'm curious to hear your response.)

Why not include a "signature"?

For example, if I were a skilled molecular biologist and a criminal, I
might engineer two dozen deadly organisms and include a "signature" in
each one. (E.g. a sequence of 1000 "non-coding" base pairs which match a
binary sequence in the first 100,000 digits of "pi".)

If similar highly conserved, non-coding "signature" sequences were
included in all modern species, it would (it seems to me) suggest a single
designer and resist all naturalistic explanations.

"Our favorite games are the ones |
we don't understand." | Loren Haarsma
--Calvin (_Calvin_and_Hobbes_) | lhaarsma@opal.tufts.edu