Re: Testing Darwinism

GRMorton@aol.com
Sat, 18 Nov 1995 22:19:00 -0500

Dave Probert writes:

>I believe the truth about the world is that it is non-mechanistic. Most
>believers in God must believe the universe is non-mechanistic, at least
>in part. If we are right, then Science will never arrive at the truths
>that are essential to me until it falsifies itself.

If the world is non-mechanistic, then the operator of the world is remarkably
consistent and God moves things and affects things in such a way as to make
it appear mechanistic. Every time I drop a ball, it follows the same law of
gravity. The pendulum swings with the same period. The earth's orbital
period only slightly varies from year to year. A non mechanistic world would
be unlikely to produce such uniformity.

I fail to see why it is so bad for God to have created a mechanistic world. A
mechanistic world is no threat to God's intervention as long as it does not
rule out all intervention by God. That type of world would allow God to
intervene when he wanted to. What would be bad to me is if this world was a
materialistic world, i.e. there is no God. I fear sometimes that the two
views, mechanistic and materialistic are wrongly intertwined.

glenn