Re: human activities

GRMorton@aol.com
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:32:20 -0500

Stephen Jones wrote:
>>GM>I see nothing in the scripture which requires a few tens of
thousands of
>years and no more for the creation of Adam nor does the scientific data
>"broadly" fit this view.

Agreed. There is no actual statement in scripture that says when Adam
was created. But most scholars who believe in a literal Adam would
place it within the last 10-50 thousand years, based on inferences
from Gn 1-11.<<

So why must most scholars be right? This is an ad populum argument. What
evidence do they advance in support of their contention. I have advanced
several things which support my view (broca's brain, 2.0 Myr: first tool use
to make tool rather than get food, 1.5 Myr; first hut, 400Kyr: first art,
330 Kyr etc) What evidence do they cite to disprove these data points and
prove their position. I have heard none yet.

Stephen wrote:
>>Glenn is making the assumption that the "man" of Genesis 1 is the same as
the "Adam" of Genesis 2. The two-"Adam" model would see this
evidence of emerging intelligence such as tool making, as included in
the making of man in Gn 1:26-27.<<

Actually, I am not making that assumption at all. I have repeatedly stated
that the days in Genesis 1 are Days of Proclamation ala Alan Hayward, which
means that man in genesis 1 is a generic name for mankind. But nothing was
actually accomplished in Genesis 1. Genesis 1 merely represents the
proclaiming by God of what WAS TO BE IN THE FUTURE. It was the laying down
of the ground rules of the universe. Thus, Genesis 1 refers to mankind,
Genesis 2 refers to Adam the first man. Pearce, from whom you get the 2-Adam
model, even gives good linguistic evidence that there is a separation between
these two usages. He writes

"The Hebrew word adam supports such an interpretation. It
is a generic noun meaning 'man' or 'mankind' in Genesis I. In
chapters 2 to 4 the definite article is added and it becomes 'the
Adam' or 'the man' (or individual). From Genesis 3:17 onwards
the noun also becomes an individual's name 'Adam'.~E.K. Victor
Pearce, Who was Adam? (Exeter: The Paternoster Press, Ltd.,
1969), p. 21

As to your recitation of the sudden appearance of carved objects, I have
previously pointed out that it was the invention of the burin which allowed
finely carved objects to be produced. What you cite as "a sharp
distinction between the abilities of Homo sapiens and other hominids." is
nothing more than the results of the invention of the burin- an engraving
tool.

glenn