Re: flood models #1 (was Fossil Man Again)

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Wed, 15 Nov 95 06:57:01 EST

Group

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 23:50:38 -0500 Glenn wrote:

GM>I quoted Hsu,
>"One can picture the desiccated Mediterranean as a giant bathtub,
>with the Strait of Gibraltar as the faucet. Seawater roared in from
>the Atlantic through the strait in a gigantic waterfall...Even with
>such an impressive influx, more than 100 years would have been
>required to fill the empty bathtub."~Kenneth J. Hsu, "When the
>Mediterranean Dried Up", Scientific American, December, 1972, p. 33.

>Stephen wrote:
SJ>So Glenn's Flood lasted " more than 100 years"? According to Gn
>Gn 8:2 "The fountains also of the deep...were stopped" after
>only "an hundred and fifty days" (Gn 7:24)<<

GM>(Sigh). No, Stephen. Hsu's flooding of the Mediterranean would
have taken
>100 years IF the rates of infill were what he cited. I have calculated that
>the Mediterranean could be filled up in 8 months if the collapsed region at
>Gibraltar was 15 miles wide, 3000 feet deep with the water going at 15 miles
>an hour. Due to friction, water can not travel faster than about 20 miles
>per hour on earth.
>Because of this, the other statements you make about the time of in fill are
>also wrong. Such as
>
SJ>It seems the rate of Glenn's filling of the Mediterranean was so
>slow, that it would have left plenty of time for everyone to
>escape?

>and

>SJ>"Quickly" meaning over "more than 100 years"!<<

Even "8 months" is enough to prove Glenn's theory wrong! First, the
Bible says the fountains flowed for only took "a hundred and fifty
days" (Gn 7:24) and secondly, a flood that took "8 months" to fill up
would be too slow. The deepest part of the the Mediterranean is 4,900
metres (Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1984, 11:854). To fill that in "8
months" would be an average rate of 0.85 metres per hour. That seems
far too slow to catch all humans and animals unawares.

>Stephen wrote:
SJ>They are not *my* "precious springs". They are what the Bible
says!
>Clearly these are a grudging add-on to Glenn's model? I presume they
>aren't even in his book? <<

GM>Science works by adding things on as needed to given theories. I
do not
>believe that your demand for springs is necessary, but if they are necessary
>for you, they can be added on to the theory. Who knows, you may be correct
>here. I certainly could not prove you wrong. I don't add them grudgingly. I
>just am not sure that having a spring at Gibraltar is necessary. If you do,
>there they are.

If Glenn wants his theory to be Biblical then "springs" are *central*,
not an add-on.

>Stephen wrote:
SJ>Indeed, I find it interesting that Glenn never quotes from his
book.

GM>Lets start a rumor here. Maybe there is no book. :-)

Why does Glenn here evade the issue? Glenn has claimed he has
published a book arguing that Noah was a Homo habilis and the Flood
ocurred 5.5 MYA in the Mediterranean. The book has been reviewed by
Bill Hamilton on the Reflector. I find it most strange that Glenn
doesn't quote from his book where it touches on these issues.

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |