Re: Two-"Adam" model (was flood models #1...)

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Thu, 02 Nov 95 06:18:03 EST

Dave

On Sat, 21 Oct 1995 17:20:46 -0700 you wrote:

SJ>I have repeatedly
>said that the "Two Adam model" is just a shorthand. The full term I
>use is "Gn 1 man - Gn 2 Adam model". I repeat, there was only ONE
>Adam, the individual called "Adam" in Gn 2!

SJ>I have defended the view that Gn 1 man corresponds to the genus
>Homo (all other living things in Gn 1 are "kinds", ie. categories,
>not individuals), whereas Gn 2 Adam is an *individual*.

DP>I have a question for you. Perhaps you explained this in
>an earlier presentation, but how is your model consistent with
>Genesis 3:20
>Now the man called his wife's name Eve,
>because she was the mother of all {the} living.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the problem is. Clearly the
verse is not literally true, ie. that Eve was the mother of all
living things.

I believe that the account, while perhaps clothed in symbolism,
reflects a literal, physical, historical truth, that Eve was created
from Adam's genetic material. I presume it means that Eve was to
become the ancestress of all human beings.

My Hebrew-Greek Interlinear renders it:

"And called the man name his wife's Eve [Heb. Chavvah: "life-giver];
because she became the mother of all"

Edward J Young says:

"In his designation of the woman as Eve, the mother of all living,
Adam reveals that his belief that life will continue to flow from
her." (Young E.J., "Genesis 3", Banner of Truth: London, 1966, p140).

Both Young and Kidner relate it back to the promise of offspring in
Gn 3:15.

Young regards the explanation "because she became the mother of
all" as added later by Moses:

"These words of explanation sound as though they were spoken at a
time when there were many living and all mankind could trace itself
back to Eve as its mother" (Young, p143).

Nothing in the "two-Adam" model that I have proposed contradicts
that. The entire human race is descended from Eve. Here is my
diagram again, which shows a possible phylogeny that fits both
the Biblical and scientific facts:

\|/h. Modern man (after convergence)
g.Neanderthals_ /|
(extinct) \ / |\ _ f. Boskop Man? (Eiseley) extinct
d. Cain's wife / | \/
(Gn 4 & 6)\ / \ | /e. Noah
\/ \|/
\ /c. Gn 2 Adam & Eve
\ /
a.Homo erectus _ |b. Gn 1 Adam ("man")
(extinct) \ |
\|

You will note that under this model, the entire human race today has
Eve as its ancestress.

This is vastly oversimplified of course and the order may look wrong
(eg. Noah before Cain) because of the limited drawing capabilities of
ASCII text. I do not claim that this is *the* solution, just *a*
solution.

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |