Re: Apologetics & Scripture

David J. Tyler (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 10:13:45 GMT

Bill Hamilton wrote:
> Let me suggest that the division between nature and grace is an artifact of
> the Fall. ,,, The Fall divided man and God, and perhaps it
> dividided the things of God from the things of nature -- in man's
> perceptions, at least.

This suggestion has merit - we can trace most of our problems back to
the Fall in one form or another!

At least Christians should be on guard about the effects of the
Fall on our minds. From my understanding of Aquinas, and his
division of the two books, human reason in "natural philosophy" is
not affected by the Fall. This was what Aristotle and Co thought too
- reason is supreme! The way was open for autonomous science to
develop, without reference to revelation and without the constraints
of knowing that the human mind is fallible and prone to error.

Best wishes,

*** From David J. Tyler, CDT Department, Hollings Faculty,
Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
Telephone: 0161-247-2636 ***