Re: human explosion (fwd)

Russ Maatman (rmaatman@dordt.edu)
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 17:43:53 -0600 (CST)

To the group:

John Burgeson wrote

> Russ Maatman writes:
>
> >It seems to me that that is a
> better place to start out than to hold that scientific discoveries
> are to be considered first. The latter approach, even when Christians
> use it, is the approach of methodological naturalism. >>
>
> I would disagree, but only in the context of what "science" is.
> Since the time of the Epicureans (see Otto Strunk's ATHEISM) science has
> taken methodological atheism, or methodological naturalism, as
> a guiding principle. Correctly so, in my opinion, for it defines
> the nature of the "science game," which is to try to explain, as
> best we can, WITHOUT REFERENCE TO THE SUPERNATURAL, all the
> processes and events we can sense in terms of natural causation. The
> enterprise (science) has been wildly successful, using this approach. But
> it is a GAME! It is not a "search for truth." Indeed, a theory may be
> manifestly wrong -- incorrect -- and still be useful!
>
> The intellectual activity known as Philosophy has no such limitation
> on what -- or how -- it investigates. So I will disagree with
> Russ insofar as he speaks of science; agree with him wholeheartedly
> insofar as he speaks of philosophy. It is quite certain that in
> these days we have all to many good scientists (Gould, Dawkins, Sagan,
> etc.) lapsing over the science/philosophy line -- and in so doing
> very much obscuring the issues. Those lapses need to be pointed out.

I cannot disagree with you very strongly as long as you allow for
us to receive real knowledge outside of the area you define as
science. I think you should, however, allow that subjects which scientists
study (in that phrase, using your definition of science) can also
receive information from outside of science. Really, it doesn't
seem very wise to hold that the Bible does not answer any origins
questions that scientists/philosophers ask.

Russ

e-mail: rmaatman@dordt.edu Home address:
Russell Maatman 401 Fifth Ave. SE
Dordt College Sioux Center, Iowa 51250
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250 Home phone: (712) 722-0421