Re: Evolution and the Christian - info in Chinese needed?

John P Turnbull (jpt@ccfdev.eeg.ccf.org)
Thu, 19 Oct 95 8:52:14 EDT

Brian Harper wrote:

> I know of no books in Chinese, hopefully others can help. John
> Turnbull gave a quote the other day from a book that may have
> some things of use. The book is:
>
> <Cosmos, Bios, Theos>, ed. Henry Margenau and Roy A. Varghese,
> Open Court, 1992.
>
> The book consists mainly of responses by well known scientists to
> questions related to science/religion/God. Quite a few of the
> respondents expressed a belief in God and a number were Christians.

This certainly would not be my first choice for this purpose. _Cosmos, Bios,
Theos_ is a survey of religious opinions by many leading scientists that reads
more like a series of sound bites. It is useful insofar as it gives an overall
sampling of the modern zeit-geist within the scientific community but it
isn't meant to delve into discussion or dialogue of the important issues.
(It does, however, have a theist/atheist debate exchange in the back of the book).
Most eastern visitors I have met are very eager to learn about our society
and culture. They wish to learn what formulas lead to our success.
The consequence of this western emulation in the east results in an importation
of our technology as well as our values - the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I would highly recommend _How Shall We Then Live_
by Francis Schaeffer as an excellent source reference for a history of western
culture and a critique of our idealogies and its respective influence on
our history from a Christian perspective. This book has an excellent chapter on
the history of the scientific revolution and will help to give insights into under-
standing contemporary western thought as a product of its history. I would also
highly recommend _The Creation Hypothesis_ (IVP, J.P. Moreland, ed., 1994) as a
good source for discussions of issues by a wide range of Christian scientist
contributors. It is well written and received a remarkably respectful review
in the anti-creationist publication _Creation/Evolution_.

-jpt

--

John P. Turnbull (jpt@ccfadm.eeg.ccf.org)Cleveland Clinic FoundationDept. of Neurology, Section of Neurological ComputingM52-119500 Euclid Ave.Cleveland Ohio 44195Telephone (216) 444-8041; FAX (216) 444-9401