Re: Evolution and the Christian - info in Chinese needed?

Brian D. Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 22:21:43 -0400

Gladwin wrote:

> Dear fellow ASAers,
>

> At Oregon State University in the last year or so several
> Mainland Chinese graduate students have come to Christ and
> continue to grow in depth and numbers. AS far as i am aware
> this is unprecedented unless there are others of you are
> awareof similar happenings in other universities. Anyway
> coming to the purpose of this letter, they are having a
> forum discussing Evolution/Creation and being a Christian.
> Talking to one of the panelists who is a fellow graduate
> student, i was made aware of the critical need for good
> sources of literature on Science and the Bible in Chinese.
> I recommended the Book written by Charles Hummel "The
> Galileo Connection", and a few others, but does any know of
> any that have chinese translations. Secondly, does anyone
> have or knows about a short article or brochure that
> summarizes a way of being a scientist and a christian,
> celebrating the two without conflict. If you do please let
> me know. Any info in this area will be appreciated.
>

> Please reply me at
>
> josephg@fsl.orst.edu
> 503-750-7377
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Gladwin

I would also appreciate receiving information of this type. I have
been teaching English as a Second Language and also a Bible study
for internationals for about four years now. Both groups are almost
entirely asian with the majority being from mainland China.

Just last sunday one the mainland Chinese students said he'd seen
something on TV about the evolution/creation debate and said he
wanted to discuss it. He happens to be an atheist working on his
PhD in molecular biology so obviously I have to be very careful
what I say. Obviously I will not tell him that evolution and
Christianity are opposed to each other :-).

I know of no books in Chinese, hopefully others can help. John
Turnbull gave a quote the other day from a book that may have
some things of use. The book is:

<Cosmos, Bios, Theos>, ed. Henry Margenau and Roy A. Varghese,
Open Court, 1992.

The book consists mainly of responses by well known scientists to
questions related to science/religion/God. Quite a few of the
respondents expressed a belief in God and a number were Christians.

Brian Harper |
Associate Professor | "It is not certain that all is uncertain,
Applied Mechanics | to the glory of skepticism" -- Pascal
Ohio State University |