Re: a definition of naturalism

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sat, 14 Oct 95 07:02:03 EDT

Dave

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:13:31 -0700 you wrote:

[...]

DP>If the cosmos is *ruled* by God, then He Himself is not subject to
>any kind of law. He is best understood as being: He who is who He
>is. The naturalist instead believes that the cosmos is governed by
>laws. (Science argues that it *must* assume this).

Agreed. This is what God revealed His Name (ie. His most essential
attribute) was when He appeared to Moses in the burining bush (Ex
3:2). Moses asked God what was the name God that he should tell the
Israelites had sent him (Ex 3:13). God answered Moses:

"`I AM WHO I AM'. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I
AM has sent me to you.'...Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD (Yahweh),
the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the
God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name
by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation." (Ex
3:14-15).

DP>I have met many Christians who are naturalists at heart. The
>Christian naturalist believes that God, though titular ruler, is
>bound by some kind of transcendent principle or law. (This is a
>belief with roots in our English heritage -- the notion that the
>sovereign is subject to law).

I think you have hit the nail on the head. We find it difficult in
this democratic age, to understand that God is an absoloute Despot who
does what He pleases and who no one or no thing can restrain (Dan
4:35).

In fact the New Testament used the Gk word "despotes" of God, which
the NIV renders as "Sovereign Lord" (Lk 2:29; Ac 4:24; Rev 6:10). The
same word is used to describe the relationship between master and
slave (1Tim 6:1-2; Tit 2:9; 1Pet 2:18); and by analogy the Christian's
relationship with Christ (2Tim 2:21; 2Pet 2:1).

God is not bound by law. He *is* the Law! The only thing that God is
bound by is His own nature: "he cannot deny himself" (2Tim 2:13).

DP>I listened to a local pastor from a Word of Faith church a couple
of >years ago preach that God could be understood in terms of certain
>`supernatural laws'. This seems anathema to me. I believe that God
>can only be understood in terms of His character. What appear to be
>`laws' are only the reflection of His consistency.

Agreed. The ancient rabbis imagined God sitting in heaven reading the
Torah!

But the regularities that man calls laws of nature are just a dim
reflection of God's actions in preserving (Neh 9:6); cohering (Col
1:17); and sustaining (Heb 1:3), all things.

DP>Many Christians seem to have a hybrid world view. We see God as
>ruling the universe *through* law. He may override law from
>time-to-time (supernatural events and miracles), but apart from His
>intervention it is law that governs. (We are then left with only to
>dispute over how much He intervenes versus just sitting back and
>watching).

Good point.

DP>The view that God rules through law seems to contradict an
>incredible amount of Scripture. I read the Scripture as teaching
>that He rules directly in the affairs of men, the instincts of
>animals, the limits of evil, and even the astronomical order -- and
>everywhere else.

Agreed.

[...]

DP>The evidence of my naturalism comes whenever I attempt to analyze
>a problem. Do I try to understand based on principles? Or by
>turning my attention to God to understand what it is that *He* is
>doing?

I think naturalism is useful as a short cut. God's actions can be
expressed as "natural laws" and this has been fruitful in science
and engineering. It has helped man carry out the mandate to "subdue
the earth" (Gn 1:28). It is only when forget that it is only
because of God's faithfulness that there are regularities that we
call "natural laws", that we err.

[...]

DP>When I am in my right mind, the starting point to answer all
>questions is wisdom. Wisom is what tells us which issues are
>controlling. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. To
>gain any true insight, we must begin with the wisdom that comes from
>Him [1 Cor 2:6,12-14].

Totally agree. Thanks for this reminder. :-)

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |