Re: Exploding Evidence of God's Hand?

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Fri, 29 Sep 95 06:58:36 EDT

Jim

On Mon, 25 Sep 95 17:47:16 MDT you wrote:

SJ>Mader says there were distinct mental differences between H.
erectus
>and H. sapiens:
>"Homo erectus had an average brain size of 1,000 cc, but the shape of
>the skull indicates that the areas of the brain necessary for memory,
>intellect, and language were not well developed."
>(Mader S., "Biology", 3rd Ed., Wm. C. Brown: Indiana, 1990, p435)

JF>I agree totally. The average brain size of H. erectus was about
2/3rds
>that of modern humans, and that had to reflect some significant
>differences. On the other hand, "not well developed" is a relative
>term: I bet they were much smarter than a chimp in all these areas.
>How smart they were is anyone's guess; mine is that a *smart* erectus
>(say, top 1%) might well reach the modern average (IQ of 100).

Yet Glenn seems to be saying that something that lived 5 million years
before the oldest known H. erectus, built an Ark!

JF>I'm not actually sure what positions everyone is defending here.
Glenn
>seems to consider erectus as human (and post-Adam), Jim Bell I think is
>claiming that it was pre-Adamic, without a soul. I am more familiar
>with YEC literature, and most of them seem to think that erectus are
>post flood humans, possibly degenerate because of harsh environmental
>conditions. Stephen, where do you stand?

I am not a YEC. I am a PC (of sorts!) who believes that there is a
distinction between Gn 1 man and Gn 2 Adam. Gn 1 man is IMHO
a genus Homo, where Gn 2 Adam is an individual. I do not claim
with Hugh Ross that Gn 1 man had no "soul". I believe the evidence
is consistent with an emerging image of God. The Gn 1 man ends where
Gn 2 Adam starts.

I have posted a sample family tree which shows there was a mingling
of Gn 1 man and Gn 2 Adam's descendants after the Fall, which explains
other Bible difficulties, eg. who cain was afraid of and where he got
his
wife (Gn 4) and the "sons of God" and "the daughters of men (Gn 6).
Modern man is thus descended from both Gn 1 man and Gn 2 Adam.

The "two-Adam" theory is defended in E.K.V. Pearce's "Who Was
Adam?" but I haven't yet read it. It is our theological college
library,
and I will try to get it.

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |