Re: Glenn's Flood

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Thu, 28 Sep 95 21:46:30 EDT

Group

On Sat, 23 Sep 1995 21:58:11 -0400 Glenn wrote:

GM>Then I assume you have "no problem" with revalation of the story to
>the Chinese, Hindus, Mexican Indians, etc. (you'd have to, since the
>5.5 million year old story could not have been carried orally). <<

GM>I really am not sure how the information was passed down,
>revelation or oral transmission. The fidelity with which something
>is passed down should be somewhat determined by how important the
>chain of individuals thought that piece of information was. The
>information on how to make an Acheulean hand ax was passed for a
>million years.

Making an ax was of vital importance. Without is the tribe mightn't
eat. But is difficult to see what the importance of handing down a
Flood story that happened 5 times that length of time ago.

[...]

GM>We see some similarities in the way bear carcasses are treated in
>Neanderthal settings with the way the Chippewa and Ainu treat them.
>How long has this tradition been passed down?

It can't be any longer than 125,000 years because according
to the Hominid FAQ, "Neandertal man existed between 125,000
and 35,000 years ago".

GM>On what basis do you say that the story could not be carried
>orally? What is the data you want to bring to the table to prove
your point?

Firstly, there is no evdience that human beings even existed 5.5 MY
ago! :-)

GM>While I will freely admit that I can not prove that the
>information was transmitted orally but I see no data really saying
>that it couldn't and some information indicating that these types of
>beliefs can be transmitted over a 80,000 year period.

There is a vast difference between 5.5 MY and 0.08 MY, ie. about
70 times! :-)

God bless.

Stephen