Re: Glenn's Flood

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Wed, 27 Sep 95 05:26:00 EDT

Group:

On Sat, 23 Sep 1995 00:57:31 -0400 Glenn wrote:

GM>I saw Jim Foley's response to this. I learned a lot. There are
>two ways to transmission of information over such a time span. 1.
>oral transmission, which moderns would scoff at or 2. revelation to
>the early Hebrews.

GM>It is uncertain how long a story could be transmitted orally since
>moderns have quit memorizing things. It might be longer than we
>moderns imagine. But I have no problem with revelation of the story
>to the Hebrews, do you?

I have a problem with oral tradition being transmitted accurately for
5.5 milllion years. I have no doubt that the historical science that
deals with oral tradition would say that such a thing was impossible.

As for "revelation of the story to the Hebrews", it is not a question
of what God could do, but what God did do. There is no evidence
internally that Gn 1-11 is a revelation. I could accept that Gn 1-2
could be a revelation because in the nature of the case some of it
happened before there was no man to record it.

But the problem is not that so much as where the break between
revelation and history is in Gn 1-11. Somewhere in Glenn's scheme
there is a gap of 5.XX million years when the distant past caught up
with the present. Where is it exactly? What happened in the 5.XX
million year gap?

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |