Re:fossil man again

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:36:34 -0500

>Stephen wrote:
>>>However, his {Glenn's]position is no threat to "atheistic Naturalism",
>>>either.
>At least the atheists sit up an take notice of YEC which they perceive
>as a genuine competitor. One suspects they would have a tolerant
>contempt for TE views?<<

Glenn:
>Atheists do not view YEC as a genuine competitor. They view it as an object
>of ridicule and a reason to reject Christianity. YEC does not even get the
>scientific data correct even in little things like the existence of the
>entire geologic column. YEC's say it doesn't exist. I have oil well logs
>from North Dakota which drill through the entire column.
>
> My view might be more of a threat to the atheistic rational for rejecting
>Scripture than you can imagine.

I agree with Glenn. The atheists I know tend to think that young-earth
creationism is a movement that impairs its adherents' powers of
observation. They don't understand why a religion that claims to have
spiritual answers for eternity would insist that its adherrents deny
reasonable physical inferences from a great volume of evidence. When I
have an opportunity to talk to an aheist about spiritual issues I generally
must first convince him that Christianity is about Jesus Christ, not the
age of the earth. Once he understands that, the tension subsides and we
can talk about what's important about Christianity.

Bill Hamilton | Vehicle Systems Research
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)