Re: Theist Manifesto?

Russ Maatman (HVANTILL@LEGACY.Calvin.EDU)
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:20:21 EST5EDT

Joe Carson,

Your suggestion is, in principle, a good one. However, to make it good in
practice as well you will have to do a far better job than Phil Johnson in
distinguishing Naturalistic metaphysics from natural science and from the
particulars of specific scientific theories.

For more discussion on the importance of this distinction see my review
essay, "Special Creationism in Designer Clothing" in the the June '95 issue
of _Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith_, especially pp. 127-28 on
the difference between "naturalistic (narrow)" and "Naturalistic (broad)." As
he ordinarily states it, Phil's case against the credibility of evolutionary
continuity rests on the ambiguity created by overlooking this distinction.

Cordially,

Howard J. Van Till
Professor of Physics
Calvin College