Re: Fossil Man again

lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:52:37 -0500 (EST)

Stephen Jones wrote:

> As a parent who has brought up two adult children in conservative
> evangelical churches, and who now attend university, I did not find it
> necessary to confront them with a conflict over the Bible vs
> Eviolution. I simply pointed out that: 1. the Bible is not at
> textbook of science; 2. While the Bible is inspired, our human
> interpretations aren't; 3. God is the Author of the books of Nature
> and Scripture, and so they ultimately must agree, even if we cannot
> always see how; and 4. if evolution is proven to be true, then that
> could be seen as the means by which God created.

Excellent! That's what I was taught, too.

I agree, this is an essential groundwork to teach all Christian
youngsters; you summarized it well. (It guided me through several changes
of opinions about scientific details.) It is also useful to tell
youngsters what you, yourself, believe, and the (sometimes conflicting)
opinions and models of other Christians, but that comes second.

God bless.

--Loren Haarsma