Re: God "hiding"

lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:53:12 -0500 (EST)

Bill Hamilton wrote:

> The dichotomy "God wants a response of true faith and commitment, not of
> rationality" bothers me. Yes God wants us to trust him, and that's faith.
> But I don't believe he's asking us to check our rationality at the door.

This is an important point. I agree that rationality (e.g. examining the
historical record, our own human natures, our life experiences) can and
should be an important element in coming to believe in God and in
understanding how to respond properly to God. (My earlier point was just
this: merely believing in his existence, on the basis of rational
arguments (as some natrual theology/philosophy seems to emphasize), is not
the kind of "faith" the scriptures talk about.)

> It's always good to emphasize the positive. However, my rationale for
> harping on the "not forcing himself on unbelievers" theme is that God has
> prescribed means that we are to use to know him. While we may be able
> to learn some interesting facts about how he does things by the study of
> nature, the way he has ordained for us to truly know him is through faith,
> especially through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.
> If I know God in that way and then go study nature, then I am going to
> see him in everything I study. I know, because I do. On the other hand,
> putting on naturalistic blinders and studying strictly nature is not likely
> to lead to a true knowledge of God.

Well put.

Loren Haarsma