Re: The UK Scene

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Fri, 15 Sep 95 21:53:02 EDT

Gordon

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:07:07 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

[...]

GS>While I am sympathetic to the David's concerns, expressed in his latter
>paragraph, and to what Phil Johnson is attempting to do, there remain two
>issues that seem relevant:
>
>1. Truth is more important than impact. If the TE position is correct -
>and they believe it is -, the TE people are doing the right thing.

Unfortunately, just believing one is "correct" is not necessarily the same
as "doing the right thing". Many of us believe that TE is too caught up
in the modern-day spirit of naturalism, and is not open to the
possibility of God intervening in nature at strategic points in a direct
way.

CS>2. I find in Phil Johnson's approach a very condescending attitude toward
>his TE Christian brother's and sisters. I am not referring to the
>personal level, which seems exemplary. But in attacking the distinctions
>TE's want to make, he comes close to lumping them in with the atheistic
>naturalists - effectively saying, "If you don't like it, come out from
>among them!" - "guilt by association." At least that is the way it appears
>to me.

Perhaps Phil Johnson also believes that "Truth is more important than
impact" and that "the TE position" is *not* "correct"? :-)

Indeed do we not believe the Lord sends us "prophets...and teachers"
(Eph 4:11), who do continually call on God's people to "...come out
from them and be separate..." (2Cor 6:17. cf. Isa 52:11; Rev 18:4)?

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |