Re: Literature reform

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Fri, 15 Sep 95 21:31:36 EDT

David

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995 13:56:18 GMT you wrote:

>ABSTRACT: Continuing discussion on the theme of Theistic
>Evolution, providing feedback on Bill Hamilton's post of 12th
>September.

[...]

DT>I suppose I have a personal reason for being disillusioned
>by this distinction between evolution the science and evolution
>the philosophy. In the UK, TE is very strong. The TE community
>is not short of leaders in the scientific world. Yet although
>these people warn about the dangers of evolutionism, they do it
>almost entirely to the Christian community! They have never
>grasped the nettle firmly and they have been extraordinarily
>quiet in challenging the scientific world about the adoption of
>naturalism as a methodological principle. In doing so, the
>Christian church in the UK is failing to address fundamental
>issues in our culture. Perhaps this experience colours my
>thinking . . .

I think you have raised an important issue, David. It goes to the
heart of the Christian church's attitude to its culture. Should the
church so accommodate to its culture that it becomes indistinguishable
from it? We are all challenged by Jesus to be "lights" in our
particular spheres (Mt 5:14-16), to have a distinctive "flavour" (Mt
5:13), and not to "conform...to the pattern of this world" (Rom 12:2).
Are Theistic Evolutionists really facing up to that challenge to be
radically different?

God bless.

Stephen