Re: Redemptive History

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Thu, 24 Aug 95 23:20:25 EDT

Glenn

On Tue, 22 Aug 1995 23:34:16 -0400 you wrote:

GM>3. Homo erectus (brain-size c. 950 cc.) is human.
>
>Justification: he made fire and stone tools. Anatole France, the
>French novelist had a cranial capacity of only 1100
>cc.(Custance, 1967, "Establishing a Paleolithic I.Q.",
>Doorway Paper, 22, p. 33)

>But progressive creationists, can only escape it by denying 3
>(which seems difficult in light of the technological activity (and
>possible artistic ability) of *homo erectus*) and it is difficult to see how
>an evolutionary creationist can escape it at all.

No. The Bible seems to clearly indicate a fairly young Adam. Whether
there
were hominids with a developing tool-making, artistic, or religious
sense,
from which Adam came, is possible.

Chimps can use tools, indeed one of Darwin's finches can! Even
elephants
pick up the skulls of their dead, and fondle them thoughtfully.

The issue comes down to what is man, and what is the image of God
in man? Perhaps a key is in the fairly recent origin of civilisation
in the Fertile Crescent.

Also, salvation was not necessary until man was put to the test and
rebelled. That might have been a comparatively recent event.

God bless.

Stephen

| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |