Re: The Beak of the Finch

Bill Davis (daviswh@mail.auburn.edu)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 08:21:12 -0500 (CDT)

Glenn wrote:

> During that exchange you quoted Bohlin and Lester concerning the "limits" to
> biological change. This is a quite common criticism of evolution, yet I have
> not found a single experiment which has proven such a limitation. Can you
> provide a single experimental fact supporting the contention that there are
> limits to biological change? In what experiment did mankind attempt to alter
> a form and find the limit?

My understanding is that we have induced innumerable mutations in
innumerable generations of fruit flies, and we find that the results of
these breakages in the genetic material fall within rather clearly
defined boundaries. This all but proves that mutations can not take an
organism any which way, but only in very narrowly defined directions. A
mechanical clock can only break in a certain number of ways. If you wish
to substitute the word "change" for "break" above, ok. But it is still
breaks we are dealing with.

Bill Davis
Philosophy
Auburn University